Library Program Goals
Information literacy is the ability to find, evaluate, and use information.
Link to our School Library Media Program Scope and Sequence of Skills for Grades K-5: K5LibOutcomes2010.pdf.
- To provide a combination of resources, curriculum, and activities so that students will be able to locate, evaluate and use information and ideas from a variety of print and non-print sources.
- To help students develop the habit and enjoyment of reading and learning throughout their lives.
We achieve this through:
- Weekly classes for all students, plus on-demand research assistance, and readers advisory for students, teachers and parents
- Projects and units that are co-planned to support classroom curriculum
- Print and non-print materials that are selected to support grade level curricula, the Thoreau Core values and the Open Circle program, and a variety of reading interests and abilities
- Materials and learning activities that are selected to represent the rich diversity of experiences, opinions and perspectives in our world
- All library lessons are aligned with Mass DOE, AASL, MSLMA and local standards.