Leveled Literacy Intervention (LLI) System
Here at Thoreau School, we use the Leveled Literacy Intervention (LLI) program with some of our students in grades k-2. This program can also be used in the upper grades as well.
The Fountas & Pinnell Leveled Literacy Intervention System (LLI) is a small-group, supplementary literacy intervention for students who would benefit from additional time and practice with their reading and writing skills. The goal of LLI is to lift the literacy achievement of students who are not yet achieving grade-level expectations in reading. The LLI systems are designed to:
- Advance the literacy learning of students
- Deepen and expand reading comprehension
- Increase reading volume by engaging students in large amounts of successful daily reading
- Increase student engagement with books that build knowledge
- Intervene with small groups of struggling readers to maximize growth
- Meet the needs of struggling readers
- Monitor student progress.
Our team of classroom teachers and literacy specialists meet together several times a year to review student progress and determine those students who require additional assistance with reading, utilizing the LLI program. Students who qualify then receive daily Guided Reading with their classroom teacher, and a second dose of small group LLI reading instruction with a certified reading tutor. With this intensive reading instruction, students often achieve reading success!
For more detailed information regarding this program, please visit: http://www.fountasandpinnell.com/lli/